Making a mess
Conservatives like to claim they are good with your money. But they can’t claim that round here.
In this area the Conservatives are making a real mess of council finances:
- The Ely bypass has gone £13 million over budget because they failed to take the ground conditions into account. (They didn’t realise the fens were boggy!?)
- The Ely leisure centre is £400,000 over budget and hundreds of people are complaining about the poor quality facilities for families there.
- The Conservatives set up a trading a company to take over rubbish collection, and had to set up a second company in a hurry because they’d made a mess of the first one.
- They closed the catering service for schools because it wasn’t ‘profitable’ but this has cost schools even more money.
- They’ve closed 19 children’s centres across the county, piling greater costs onto charities and voluntary organisations.
As if all this wasn’t bad enough, they decided to give themselves a 30% pay rise.